IF YOU STAY SHORTER THAN 3 MONTHS
If you are a doctor, dentist, specialized nurse or midwife working less than 3 months in the clinical area of Haydom Lutheran Hospital you can buy your working permit when entering Tanzania. Follow the procedure as mentioned under “Visa“.
Remember to also register for medical license at the Tanganyika Medical Council,(request for form at expats(a)haydom.com and bring a copy of the registration to us.
IF YOU STAY LONGER THAN 3 MONTHS
This procedure is much more complicated as you need a visa for 2 year in addition to the registration at the Tanganyika Medical Council.
Applying for residence permit and the medical registration is a time consuming process and the application therefore has to be sent at least three months in advance. Every July the government evaluates the prices for the different permits, if you are applying around this time, you should be aware that the prices may change during the process.
If you are doing clinical work in the hospital for a more than three months, you need to get the medical license from The Medical Council of Tanganyika (MCT) in Dar Es Salaam, in order to get the working permit. We will provide you with this form and help you process the application. The price for the medical license is 300USD and should be transferred to our account together with the visa fee.
If you are not working in the clinical area, you don’t have to fill out the license application or pay these fees.
1. Prepare the required documents as mentioned below
2. Send the documents by normal mail to:
Haydom Lutheran Hospital
attn. Expats coordinator
P.O. box 9000
Haydom, Mbulu, Manyara
3. Pay the fee of $600 ($300 for the working permit and $300 for the medical license registration) by bank transfer to our Norwegian bank account at Sparbanken Sør, Arendal:
Account holder: Haydom Lutheran Hospital
Account number (IBAN): NO3928010950947
Currency: NOK (you can find the actual exchange rate USD/NOK for example on www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ )
BIC (Swift code): AASPNO22
4. In most cases the working permit will not be ready upon your arrival, you therefore have to get the tourist visa for three months (50USD) when entering the country. If we receive the working permit before you arrive, you will get a scanned copy of your working permit sent to your email. Bring this when entering Tanzania and you will not have to pay for tourist visa .
5. Upon your arrival at Haydom you need to visit the Information Manager in the Administration building, and hand over your passports. He will bring it to the immigration office in Babati, and they will send it to Dar es Salaam to get it stamped.
Remember to start the process as soon as possible as the registration for medical license have been taking up to 9 months and getting the work permit around 6 months.
WORKING PERMIT AND MEDICAL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please note that if you mention a qualification in your CV, then you will have to produce a certificate to support it.
2. Eight (8) passport photos
3. Two (2) CERTIFIED copies of professional certificates and medical/dental registration in your home country.
- Professional certificates (degrees, diplomas, certificate of a specialist qualification etc.)
- Evidence of medical/dental registration in your home country, and original letter of good standing with the own medical council.
Suitable documents would be from UK General Medical Council, Norwegian Medical Association, Norwegian Health and Social Security Directorate, for Holland the BIG registration etc.
- Passport: two certified copies of ALL pages, including blank pages.
What do we mean by certified copies?
These are photocopies of your documents, which have been presented to a solicitor or lawyer or certified registrar together with the original certificate, document or diploma. The lawyer/registrar then puts his stamp on, and signs the photocopy, declaring that this is a true copy of the original.
If your certificate is not in English:
Applicants must take note that any certificates and documents provided should be in English or accompanied by a certified correct English translation (also 2 copies).
4. Application forms Medical Council of Tanganyika
Contact expats(a)haydom.co.tz for this application form. We will email this to you. You have to send us 2 originals with original signatures.
5. Application forms Tanzanian government
Contact expats(a)haydom.co.tz for the Residence Permit application form. If you fill in the form, you can leave the questions 4, 11, 12 and section III blanc.
6. Volunteer agreement
Please also send us two signed copies of the volunteer agreement. We will sent this form to you by email upon your request. Also use expats(a)haydom.co.tz.